Save our SoilsCategory: News
27 January 2015
2015 is International Year of Soils 2015. The IYS 2015 (initiated by the FAO) aims to increase awareness and understanding of the importance of soil for food security and essential ecosystem functions.
ORC is one of 120 international partners (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, USA, Sweden, Austria, Australia and many more) who have come together under the Save our Soils umbrella to help share the important message of soil.
The campaign aims to raise consumer awareness about the importance of soil for our health, food security and climate. It wants to make people aware of the problem of degraded soils, and point towards soilutions. Last but not least, the campaign aims to activate consumers to get creative and become soildiers for a better future.
One of the key messages (see opposite) is that Organic is the Soilution. Consumers are encouraged to Buy organic! as healthy food starts with healthy soils and millions of organic farmers worldwide are turning the tide and saving soils by:
- restoring degraded soils and preventing erosion.
- fighting climate change by increasing carbon storage.
- making the soil more resilient to droughts and floods and
- stimulating biodiversity.
Although Soil will be on our agenda throughout the year, there are four focus periods when we and our partners will give the subject extra focus and attention.
- Global Soil Week: 19 – 23 April
- Celebrating Soil Event: 26 – 29 June
- Healthy Soil Week: 5 – 12 September
- World Soil Day: 5 December